Happenings

Fire Guts Henry Carr PG Hostel of UNILAG

Fire broke out at the Henry Carr Postgraduate hostel of the University of Lagos (UNILAG) during the week due to power surge within the hall of residence.

According to eyewitnesses, the fire started from room A-202 in the A Block section of the hall and not much damage was caused before it was eventually quenched.

While in the process of putting out the fire, a mattress and a few valuables belonging to the students got burnt but nobody was injured in the process.


 

Main Entrance, UNILAG. Photo: The Nation
Main Entrance, UNILAG. Photo: The Nation

This is contrary to rumours going round that the fire escalated beyond the control of the institutiinm’s fire services men which the university management had since confirmed.

Taiwo Oloyede, UNILAG spokesperson, made it known that the fire had already been put under control and the affected room was also being put into good use again for the PG students that occupy it.

“Contrary to the wide spread speculation that there was an inferno inside the Akoka campus of the university and that the situation degenerated due to the non-availablity of fire extinguishers, the community and the general public should note that there was no case of such,” the spokesperson stated.

Post Comment

x